It’s no secret that Internet Dating is now the most common practice for singles looking to meet other singles.
Although Match.com launched on April 21, 1995 it remains the most visited internet dating site, attracting more visitors than its closest competitor, according to July 2014 comScore data.
|Online Dating Statistics||Data|
|Total number of single people in the U.S.||54,250,000|
|Total number of people in the U.S. who have tried Internet Dating||49,250,000|
|Total eHarmony members||16,500,000|
|Total Match.com members||23,575,000|
|Number of questions to fill out on eHarmony survey||400|
|Annual revenue from the Internet Datingindustry||$1,749,000,000|
|Average spent by dating site customer per year||$243|
|Average length of courtship for marriages that met online||18.5 Months|
|Average length of courtship for marriages that met offline||42 Months|
|Percent of users who leave within the first 3 months||10 %|
|Percent of male Internet Dating users||52.4 %|
|Percent of female Internet Dating users||47.6 %|
|Percent who say common interests are the most important factor||64 %|
|Percent who say physical characteristics are the most important factor||49 %|
|Percent of marriages in the last year in which the couple met on a dating site||17 %|
|Percent of current committed relationships that began online||20 %|
|Percent of people who believe in love at first sight||71 %|
|Percent of women who have sex on the first Internet Dating encounter||33 %|
|Percent of people who say they have dated more than one person simultaneously||53 %|
|Percent of sex offenders who use online dating to meet people||10 %|
The Pew Research Center has also found statistics in their studies that show the growth of popularity and the general acceptance of internet dating over the past decade.
Some of the conclusions that they came to were:
- Internet dating has lost much of its stigma. A majority of Americans now say online dating is a good way to meet people, when that hasn’t always been the case.
- One-in-five adults ages 25-34 years old have used online dating, but it’s also popular with older singles, too.
- One-third of people who have used online dating have never actually gone on a date with someone they met on an Internet Dating website.
- One-in-five online daters have asked someone else to help them with their internet dating profile.
- 5% of Americans who are in a marriage or committed relationship say they met their significant other via an Internet Dating website.